Thursday, June 21, 2012

Everything I know about caring for children I learned from Hospice


This doesn’t really have much to do with Charlotte, well it kind of does I guess.
My great uncle (I call him Uncle), who I am very close to, is passing away from cancer. We just found out he had cancer less than a week ago, and it had already spread. We were suspicious that he had a serious medical issue, but we had a difficult time getting good medical help (LONG LONG STORY).  Hospice is coming and helping us take care of him. Being pregnant, and about to hatch very soon, I just can’t help out as much with his care as I could with my Grandfather. It is a mixed set of emotions really; I am not really sure what to think. There is just so much happening at one time, life and death seem to collide almost in one event. It is rather strange. I only have a few weeks left in my pregnancy, and I couldn’t be more thrilled. Uncle Wibby only has a few weeks (possibly months) left to live, and I am sad. I am counting down the days until my baby girl arrives, but at the same time, that pregnancy count down has now turned into a countdown of my remaining days with my Uncle. I try not to think of it that way, but like I said, it is just a hard pill to swallow and I am not sure how to “digest” it all.  Then I remind myself that I shouldn’t be sad. Uncle Wibby really misses his wife, his brothers, his mom and dad and the rest of the family that has passed before him. He has prayed for death for a number of years now and was even resentful to God for leaving him behind. He was the eldest and in the worst health, he didn’t understand why HE was STILL alive at 84. I could feel the skys part and the darkness of “death” pass as he told me that he confessed his sins and was right with the Lord. Being a private man, it took a lot for him to tell me that. From that moment on, it no longer felt dark and lonely in his house. I knew I was surrounded by thrilled loved ones who had previously passed on. The entire stress that loomed over their house like a dark cloud was lifted.  I shouldn’t be sad because Uncle Wibby is going to see and be with family that I miss, for that I am jealous. Death is not means to an end either; it is just another “stage” of life, just like birth. Tune  your “personal radio” over to your spiritual side and BAM, you are right there with your passed family and can follow their guidance and advice through life. At least that has worked well for me. I am never alone, my family is always with me and guiding me.
So while 2 life events are about to be very close together, I still couldn’t be more thrilled about meeting my baby girl. Even Uncle Wibby smiles when I walk in the door or anytime I talk about Charlotte.
Anyways, something a little less heavy….. So this is my 2nd Hospice experience. So far, I like this company better than the company that served my Grandfather. I have also learned that not everyone’s passing is like my Grandfather. I loved my Granddaddy SOOOOOO much but to be honest, his care was the most stressful event in my life. He required CONSTANT care and supervision, and by constant I do mean that the man HONESTLY NEVER SLEPT…NEVER. I am not kidding, that was the roughest 2 mo. Of my life. Compared to adult caregiving, infant care is going to be a breeze. At least with a baby I can actually pick her up, unlike my Grandfather that nearly broke my back trying to lift him up. 2am phone calls to help maneuver him were routine. He was often agitated and for the last month or so, he wasn’t himself at all. Thus far (knock on wood) Uncle Wibby has been pretty easy going. He sleeps a lot, prefers to just lay in bed and doesn’t get nearly as agitated and is as easy going as a grump 84 year old man can be. Looking back on my experience with Granddaddy I wouldn’t trade it for the world, and just as with Uncle Wibby, there are actually some times that are just flat out funny. When you are faced with death, when it is looking at you in the face, what else can you do but laugh some times. Crying does no good and accomplishes nothing, then you are just sad. Granddaddy was one to make me laugh, sometimes unintentionally. Uncle Wibby is the same way. The things he says at times crack me up. The way he “sleeps” when he is wanting people to leave him alone for a while. The way he complains about his son, can be funny at times too, like an old married couple bickering about the air. Hahahah.
 I have learned a lot about end of life care and it is funny how a lot of that same care will be used at the beginning of life. Weird. My Hospice experiences have taught me so much and I am much better prepared “mom” for it. Hospice care has been my “mommy bootcamp” and I have learned so much about caring for others. I am so much more comfortable with this mom business because of my experiences with Hospice.
So, today was a good day…all in all. Uncle WIbby ate a bit of food without getting sick. He took his medications and treatments instead of refusing them, he rededicated his life, and in the process put a smile on our faces too. We cleared the air on a few “family business” matters and things are looking up as we stand by his side during this life change.

No comments:

Post a Comment